A Meal that Kids and Adults Will Enjoy!
Creating a meal that both adults and kids will enjoy can be tough. Rather than making two completely different meals, consider using one recipe as the base. Then make little tweaks that appeal to everyone at the table. Macaroni and cheese is a perfect base recipe when trying to please multiple pallets. For the kiddos, add meatballs or grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. Use fresh vegetables to create a smiley face to encourage kids to try something new. For the grown-ups in the room, add nutmeg, cayenne pepper or few drops of infused olive oil to create a more complex taste. Change up the texture of the dish by adding sautéed mushrooms or braised steak. Top if off with a full-flavored cheese like blue cheese, goat cheese or gruyere. When it comes to dinnertime, little edits of the same recipe can streamline the process and please everyone. Here is a recipe for the home chef for a great Mac & Cheese sauce spiked with truffle oil.
Truffle Mac & Cheese
Recipe for the Home Chef
Serves 4 -6
- 1 pint cream
- 6 oz cheese (your choice)
- 1 Tb. Butter
- 1 Tb. flour
- ½ tsp. Truffle oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. Macaroni noodles, cooked and drained according to box directions
- 16 oz. Mushrooms (your choice) sautéed in 1 oz. butter until golden brown
- 6 oz. Parmesan or Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup Toasted bread crumbs
- Mix the butter and flour together in your hands and set aside.
- Bring the cream to a low simmer in a thick bottomed pot.
- Add the butter/ flour blend and stir with a whisk until smooth and slightly thickened (about 5 minutes)
- Take the pot off the heat, add the cheese and truffle oil and whisk until smooth, season to taste.
- Mix with macaroni noodles and top with mushrooms, cheese and breadcrumbs.